Get rid of moths with these moth prevention tips
Clothes moths can cause havoc in your home and feed on your favourite garments. If you have a moth infestation, or have had one in the past, follow these simple moth prevention tips to keep your wardrobe free from clothes moths.
1) The clothes moth clean out
Clothes moths like to breed in dark, dusty, undisturbed corners. Therefore the first step in eliminating a moth infestation is to remove everything from your wardrobe and drawers. Wash what can be washed and dry clean everything else (including bedding, drapes and curtains). Vacuum your wardrobe, drawers, carpets, floors and all surrounding areas thoroughly. Then wash inside the wardrobe and drawers with soap and water. This will help kill off any larvae that may be present. TIP – steam is very effective in killing moth larvae. If your home has been troubled with multiple or prolonged moth infestations it may be worth investing in a hand held steamer.
2) Keeping it clean Moths love the food proteins in wool and especially love the food, skin and hair particles we leave behind. Do not put dirty or even once worn clothes back in the wardrobe. This is what clothes moths feed on. TIP - they don't like the taste of dry cleaning fluid so if you are storing out of season clothes, dry-clean them first.
3) Clothing storage Put clothes back into the wardrobe clean! Store out of season garments in washable and breathable cotton Garment Storage Bags. Avoid storing in plastic as the fabrics need to be able to breathe to prevent mould. For folded items use a storage box lined in acid free tissue paper. Don't store your clothes in an overheated or damp attic, cellar or storage unit. Put your storage box in a spare room, on top of a cupboard or better still in a clean cupboard with a firmly shut door. TIP – cashmere, wool and silk are not only delicate fabrics, but are moth favourites. Keep them stored in a breathable fabric storage bag for complete peace of mind. .
4) Moth Repellent Products Once you have cleaned both your clothes and wardrobes, you must be vigilant in order to cure or prevent a moth infestation. The most effective way to do this is by combining the pheromone Moth Box with a selection of anti-moth products. The Moth Box catches the males and the repellents deter the females.
5) Season Change Monitor your clothes and look out for holes caused by clothes moths. Every season have a mini clean out and replace your moth repellent products. This will help keep your wardrobe fresh, clean and moth free all year round.